See a photograph of the Inn as it looked in 2008 on Sithenah.
There may have been an inn on the site since the 1600s and it was known as a highwayman's inn. There are tales of it being haunted by a ghost named Mary.
However the New Inn was first licensed around 1856 with Robert Turner being the first Innkeeper.
William F Gratton was the landlord in the 1930s. Between 1927 and 1930 there were sixteen serious accidents on this stretch of road that were attributed to a "Phantom Lorry". Read the story. This is probably why a lorry features in the Inn sign.
It was the local of the Moors Murderers, Brady & Hindley whose house on Wardlebrook Avenue was behind the Inn. The house was demolished many years ago.
A later landlord was the father of boxer Ricky Hatton who was brought up in the New Inn. Part of the celler was used as a gymnasium.
See the view of the back of the Inn from Sundial Close/Wardlebrook Avenue on Hyde Daily Photo.